안녕하세요! I am Vaibhavi from India. In today' post let's talk about the various uses of ~(으)로 particle.
~(으)로 can be added to nouns with a few different meanings. One of main meanings is to indicate with what tool/ device/ method/ material something is carried out.
~(으)로 does not has a specific English equivalent, it's English equivalent varies depending on the usage (with, by, on, out of).
~로 is added to words(nouns) ending in a vowel, whereas ~(으)로 is added to words(nouns) ending in a consonant. However, when the last consonant (받짐) is ㄹ, 로 is added instead of ~(으)로.
When to use ~(으)로 Particle.
A) To indicate a tool or means or method of doing something. It can be equivalent to by, by means of,with etc.
1) Jisoo ate ice cream with a spoon. = 지수는 아이스크림을 숟가락으로 떠먹었다.
2) I wiped the water off my hands with a handkerchief.= 나는 손에 묻은 물기를 손수건으로 닦았다.
3) I study with a Korean book. = 저는 한국어책으로 공부해요.
4) I will go to Je-ju by boat. = 배로 제주에 갈 거야.
B) ~(으)로 is used to indicate the direction that something is happening or the direction of motion. This usually has the same meaning as -에.
1) We went to Jeju Island for our honeymoon. = 우리는 신혼여행을 제주도로 갔다 왔다.
2) I ran towards my home . = 나는 집으로 달려갔다.
3)The thief was headed to the back door. = 도둑은 뒷문으로 향합니다.
C) ~(으)로 can be used to indicate the language in something is spoken.
1) I will say that in French. = 나는 그것을 프랑스어로 말할 것이다.
2) The Korean President gave the speech in English. = 한국 대통령은 영어로 연설을 했습니다.
3) Please say that in Chinese. = 중국어로 해주세요.
D) ~(으)로 is also used to indicate what you ate for a specific meal.
1) I usually only eat fruit for lunch. = 저는 보통 저시식사로 과일만 먹었어요.
That's it for today's lesson. I hope now you're familiar with uses of ~(으)로 particles.
Visit koreanstudyjunkie.com website for more such free and detailed Korean lessons or just click on the link given below.